Tuesday, May 27, 2014

*Raw Vegan Coconut Banana Cream Pie*

Pie, pie....oh my.


Helloooo pie. 

Raw Vegan Coconut Banana....with cacao drizzle....Cream Pie. <3 

Oh yes, annnnd hellllllloo everyone as well. XO! 

So I was having a very wonderful conversation with my dear favorite foodie friend a.k.a. my lovely Tante' Lys,  the other day, and we were happening to talk about food. (Um, like duh lol) We are both whole food, gluten free, veggie heads whom have a passion for exploring, creating, discussing, sharing.....and eating beautiful whole, organic, sustainable, cruelty free, foods. (phew that was a mouthful hehe)

She had sent me a care package of foodie goodies, many wonderful things, but the one I used here, was Walnuts. Mmm... 

I had wanted to make something using the walnuts she sent...perhaps with some dates.....some young coconut that I had....perhaps a cookie, or a bar orrrrr.......Then she said PIE! <3 

OHHH, it was on! I mean how can you go wrong with pie?? What an awesome and lovely idea! SO, we both searched our brains and the internet for ideas. We BOTH, separately came across a recipe, thee same recipe, using walnuts and dates as the crust......and was a "Coconut Banana Cream Pie". I don't have the link where I found the recipes right now. BUT I will def link to it here, once I find it! I promise! I absolutely need and want to give inspiration credit to where it's due!! <3 I however changed her recipe a bit to make it my own. But I will find the link and share it soon. 

YEP. That was the pie I needed to make...create....play with...get my inspiration from......EAT!  

So, I got inspired and started creating my own version of "Coconut Banana Cream Pie".

NOTE: This pie does NOT taste like traditional cooked Coconut Pie....for it is not. It definitely has a very, natural, taste about it. If you want it to be more traditional tasting....perhaps instead of making it raw vegan by using fresh young coconuts.....you could make it just Vegan, by using canned coconut milk INSTEAD of the young coconuts. Which is still crazy healthy for you! It will give it a more coconuty flavor. :) I have talked about this idea below....see the 'Recipe' and the 'Notes' section. Perty please and thank ya! <3 


Here's what I did and the recipe!


*RAW VEGAN COCONUT BANANA CREAM PIE*

For a small 8" tart pan.

CRUST:
  • 1 cup Walnuts (see Notes below)
  • 1/2 cup dried shredded Coconut (I use "Let's Do Organic Shredded Coconut)
  • 5 Medjool Dates, sticky ones please, and pitted. :)
PIE FILLING:
  • 3/4 cup Raw Cashews, soaked in water for at least 1/2 hour, then drained
  • 1/4 cup Raw Extra Virgin Coconut OIL, softened. 
  • 4-5 Medjool Dates, pitted
  • 1/8 cup Lemon juice
  • 1 sm. Banana, ripe. (also 1 for slicing and topping the pie with)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (SEE NOTES BELOW PLEASE)
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • OPTIONAL....3 TBS dried shredded Coconut flakes, (TOTALLY OPT)
TOP:
  • 3/4 cup either Young Coconut Flesh OR canned Coconut Milk (Must see note! Really lol)
  • 1/8 tsp Lemon juice
  • 1-2 TBS liquid sweetener, (Agave, Date puree, Coconut Nectar etc...) or to taste
  • 1 TBS Raw Extra Virgin Coconut OIL, softened. 
  • pinch of salt
(To make Topping....blend all Topping ingredients in a good blender until whipped)


DIRECTIONS:

The first thing to do, is to create your crust.....walntus, dates and dried coconut. Take your lovely walnuts and blend them in a food processor til crumbly. Add in the dried coconut and then the Medjool dates. I find it easier if you chop your dates or mush them a little before putting them in the mix. This will help your food processor blend them without getting over taxed. 


Once, well blended. The pie crust should have a moist, somewhat sticky texture. You should be able to press it into a ball and have it stay that way. ;) 
Now, press it into a small 8" Tart pan. This may take you a moment to get it right....just make sure you get the crust even and in all the little nooks and crannies of the tart pan. 



Now onto that filling. 

Set the pie crust aside.....I like to set it in the fridge til I need it. 

For the filling, in a food processor. Process your soaked cashews til crumbly. Add in your dates, once again, I recommend that you help them out a bit and chop them or mush them prior to putting them into the processor. 
Give the mix a little blend. Then continue adding the rest of the filling ingredients. Whirl, blend, mix, and blend again. You want it nice and creamy. (About the Coconut in the filling, please see Notes below.....I have some good tips for you)

(Below pic....Fresh Young Coconut Meat)

(Above pic, Fresh Young Coconut Meat) SEE NOTE BELOW)

  NOW, go grab your pie crust and spoon the filling into it. 


Here is where you could choose to do two things......you could either cover the pie as is now, and place it in the fridge to firm up THEN top with the banana slices along with the Topping later....OR you could choose to place the slices of banana on now and then pop it in the fridge to chill. NO MATTER. I choose to top it now with the banana slices...then put it in the fridge to chill overnight. The next day I topped it all with the 'Topping'. 


AFTER chilling the pie...(without the Topping) overnight. Then make the 'Topping' and top that baby with that lovely Cream Topping. 

(ACK! UPDATE!: I almost forgot to post how to do the 'Topping'. If you read this post before and noticed that I forgot to add the directions for the 'Topping'. SOO sorry about that lol! OOPS! Here ya go!)

FOR THE TOPPING!...Whip all the the 'Topping' ingredients together in a good blender until whipped and gorgeous. Taste and adjust flavorings....such as salt and sweetener. Then top the chilled pie with it. :)



I used a piping bag and a cute little piping tip. But you could do what ever your little heart desires. I then sprinkled some more dried coconut flakes on top, m'yep. 

OH and then.....I couldn't help myself. IF you wanna get really crazy.....how about you top it off with some raw cacao!?! Umm, yes please

(Above pic.....drizzled with a mix of raw cacao/coconut oil and agave)

*NOTES AND TIPS*

  • About the Walnuts. I would recommend, giving your walnuts a 20 minute water soak and then a rinse before using them. Because walnuts tend to have a bitter taste. The soaking will help rinse away a little bit of that. ALSO....IF, you do rinse and drain them first, might I suggest that you dry them reeeeally well, or if you have a dehydrator, give them a little drying time before using them. That way when you use them for your crust they wont be to soggy or soft. BUT, honestly, if you don't want to do any of this, no biggie. Either just use the original dried walnuts, OR, change up the nut altogether and possibly go for....Pecans?? Oh, yeah, I'm pretty sure that would rock too. 

  • About the Coconut. Ahhh yes, thee ol' coconut tips. Let me say here, that Young Coconuts have a distinct flavor. Not quiet the deep sweet coconut flavor most people are used too. IF you want to keep this pie completely RAW then by all means, use the Young Coconut meat. HOWEVER, and might I suggest, that for you newbies, (I mean no disrespect here <3 ) That INSTEAD of using the raw fresh Young Coconut USE a can of GOOD Coconut Milk?? There is a GREAT trick to this: *If you are using a can of Coconut Milk.....place the whole unopened can in the fridge overnight. THEN the next day, open it up and only use the top cream. You see, when you place the can in the fridge, the cream separates from the 'water'. Leaving a luscious thick coconut cream on top. What what?!  

  • SOOO my final TIP.......if you are wanting that real distinct Coconuty flavor.....use a can of Coconut Milk and do the fridge trick, to scoop off the top cream. FOR BOTH the 'Filling' and the 'Top'. ALSO, THIS IS NOT TO REPLACE THE "COCONUT OIL".....just the "Coconut milk/meat" in the recipe. That is important. 

  • OK I lied.....ONE more, lol. You may also play around with the crust...perhaps add a couple TBS Raw Cacao Powder to the mix and  poof! You now have a Chocolate Crust! Ch'ah! ALSO, I'm thinking that you may also add some Coconut Extract to the Filling, for a more Coconuty Flavor.....hey, just saying. AND FINALLY.....no really, haha. May I also point out that you may, if you feel inclined.....to drizzle this lovely pie with Chocolate?? Yeah, that's what I thought. ;) XOXO!

And now.....I give you Pie! 


Pie......OH MY! <3!!

With that, I leave you with......*Happy and Healthy Eating my Beauties!*

Til Next Blog!
Keep on Raw'kin!
*Shauna*


1 comment:

  1. It looks GREAT!!! I adore recipe playing with you, Chouchou :)
    Can't wait to try this myself, and yes, I'll be one of the coconut milk in a can people.

    Glad Tippie the finger is doing better (yes, I named your finger).

    à la prochaine,
    Tante Lys

    ReplyDelete