Monday, April 21, 2014

*Raw Vegan Zucchini with Cumin Lemon Cream*

*Creamy Cumin, Lemon Zucchini....and some dehydrated Strawberries toooo.......*


Hello helloooo and hellllllo again!

Thanks for being patient, I was a wee bit gimpy from when I cut my finger, (d'oh!) which made it kinda hard to type. But it's feeling better, although I only have half a finger nail and I'm still all bandaged up. :) But I seem to be hitting the keyboard alright, so that's good. At least I'm not typing like..."Dkafklj ofjadoijmv....etc..etc.." OR something like that ;)

Anyways....oh man, am I ever behind on blogging lol. I have so many food pics and recipes to share with you guys, I don't know where to begin haha. ;)

How about we start off with what I made for lunch today?

*Raw Vegan Zucchini with Cumin Lemon Cream*



I was searching through some cookbooks today....(something I almost always do, yes it tis true, I am a major vegan cookbook'o'holic.) And I came across a recipe for "Zucchini with Cumin Cream"...using dairy cream! Uhhh...yuck and no thanks, lol. But the recipe sounded really good. Zucchini....with cumin and lemon zest.....and a creamy sauce. Sooo that "Convert old recipe to new awesome raw vegan recipe" was on!!

Here's my recipe and how I did everything. 

*RECIPE*

  • 2-3 Large Zucchinis, cut on angle
  • 1/4 cup Raw Brazil nuts, soaked 20 min. 
  • 1/4 cup Raw Cashews, soaked 20 min.
  • Zest of one lemon
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp Cumin, powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste. 
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Turmeric, for sprinkling on top (OPT)
Soak your nuts (in same bowl if you want) in warm water for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, wash and chop your Zucchini into angled slices. Place on plate and lightly sprinkle with salt.....lightly please! 

When the nuts are soaked, drain and place them along with 1/2 warm water, the juice of the lemon and the tsp Cumin, and salt/pepper to taste, in blender. (save the Lemon zest and Turmeric for garnishing later) 

Blend well, until creamy. If you have a Vitamix, blend until the nut cream sauce is warmed up. 

Place cut Zucchini into a bowl and pour warmed nut sauce on top. Coat evenly. 

Place coated Zucchini onto a dish that will fit into your dehydrator (I use a glass pyrex pie dish)
Place the dish into the dehydrator and dry 115 until soft and warmed through, say an hour or so. *SEE NOTES BELOW. 

You may also dry at the highest temp setting, which I think is 135 until warm, DON'T WORRY, the dish will still be raw, we are just gently warming it....more quickly. 

When done, take out of the dehydrator and top with lots of lemon zest, and a wee sprinkle of Turmeric. 

Nosh and Enjoy!

*NOTES

  • IF you do not have a dehydrator.....why yes, you may put that bad boy into your oven, set at the lowest temp and with the door slightly open. Checking often to see how it going. You want the Zucchini to slightly soften and the cream sauce to tighten up a bit.
  • OR.....if you do not want to warm it through...by ALL means, just pour the sauce on the raw zukes and eat up! It will still taste good....not the same, but still good. :) I highly recommend drying it and warming it up a bit. SO much better that way. 
  • When I want something warmed up, I usually turn my dehydrator on the highest temp 135 and 'warm' my foods up for a bit that way. HOWEVER, I only do this if I just want to quickly warm something up, I DO NOT keep the temp at 135 if I am actually dehydrating for longs bouts of time. When dehydrating normally.....I never go above 115 degrees.....ever. 

So there ya go my lovelies, one more recipe creation for ya. I hope you enjoy! 


Alright, I'm off to experiment with new recipes....and munch of some Strawberries. Did I tell you that I got strawberries.....no? Well, I did, and they are taaaaasty. Nom nom nom. <3 I even dehydrated some last night! 

Ooooo, I should share a pic with you.....here ya go!! Like chewy, crispy, berry jerky haha! 

Perfect little nibbles. 



*Love, peace......and strawberry smooches to you all!


Til next blog!


*Shauna....and her little strawberries tooo*

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm ... strawberries ...

    Tierra Vegetables has gotten in their first harvest of Chandler strawberries and they are delicious ...

    Oh!, and blueberries have just hit the Farmers Market ... yay! Of course, I'm still stuffing myself with the herald of Spring ... asparagus.

    Next up ... Tomatomania, where a gazillion varieties of heirloom tomato seedlings will be out for admiration and sale. I plan to participate in both (smile).

    Soon, chou chou

    ReplyDelete