Wednesday, May 29, 2013

*Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pea Pesto*

*Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pea Pesto*


Hello again............(oh my gosh, that literally just took like 5 times to type....I think I have heat exhaustion lol) {{insert annoying panting noise here}}

Yes it is hot here in good ol' Cleveland. Hit 85 today. Which I must say is a little strange for Ohio. It usually runs on the cooler side during Spring/Summer. BUT I'm not complaining. NOPE. I'm a Nor Cali girl through and through. I don't mind the heat. However, the humidity??....Now that is where Ohio and I don't get along.........{{pause}}.........ok, Ohio and I don't get along on a lot of areas. But we are trying to work on our relationship. But someday, it is true, I am going to break up with Ohio and run back to my real sweetheart........California. {{insert heart emotioncon thingy here}}

Ok, don't get me started on California ;)

Let me get back to saying.....holy panting heat batman. No kidding, it's hot. Good thing I like Raw food :) There will be no cooking in this house tonight. I have happily made a cool dish of Zuke pasta with an amazing, (if I do say so myself) Avocado Pea Pesto....with NO nuts! Totally awesome Dude!.......sorry still have Cali on the brain.

Behold...................dun dun dun. Zuke Pasta. Alright alright, I mean....

*Raw Vegan Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pea Pesto* :)


As you can see, I also topped it with yellow cherry tomatoes, marinated mushrooms (I'll post the recipe for that as well) and a sprinkling of Basil. Ohhhh my oh my. And of course, the mushrooms are optional. Feel free to make and eat the Pasta how ya like. :) Heck it would be good with lots of different toppings.

Ready for the recipe??.....(you're probably like....."Yes! Will this woman stop rambling already and get to the damn recipe??".....(phew it's hot, have I said that already??)

Ok ok, the recipe.

*RECIPE*

  • 2-3 Zucchinis, peeled and spiralized.
  • sprinkle of salt

  • 1/2 cup Frozen Peas, (I just gently de-thaw/rinse mine under warm water)
  • 1/4 cup fresh Basil...*(see my note below)
  • 1 TBS Dried Basil....*OR skip dried and just do 1/2 Cup of Fresh Basil.(see my note below)
  • 1/2 Avocado
  • 2 small garlic cloves
  • 1/2 Lemon, juice
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I just drizzled it into the blender til I got a thick sauce, perhaps 1/4 cup?
  • a sprinkle of water, as needed to thin sauce.
  • (OPT......some Jalapeno for sprinkling on the finished dish.......what what? Ahh yeah, I'm a pepper head, so do this only if you want some heat to your dish.) 


*NOTE: About the Basil......honestly, this isn't Rocket Science. If you have fresh Basil, yes yes yes, use a 1/2 cup of that lovely stuff. The taste will be more awesome, yes I said more awesome....that is how I roll. If however you are like me today, whom only had a little of the fresh, please feel free to sub some dried Basil for some Fresh. See......simple. Xo! I say, play with your food. ;)

 

*Directions*

Wash and peel Zukes. Spiralize them. Drizzle the noodles with a little salt. Gently mix. Let sit while you make the sauce.

For the Pesto.

Put all ingredients in a blender EXCEPT for the oil. Blend in the blender til mixed. Now, slowly add in the Oil, with the blender on. It should get nice and thick. Adjust seasonings and thickness with water if desired.

Now on to the Zuke noodles. Gently take the noodles and squeeze out any water that has been released from them. Don't rinse them...just try to remove any water.

Pour the Pesto over the noodles and mix in. Serve alone, or top with cherry tomatoes and/or marinated mushrooms and extra chopped Basil.

*Marinated Mushrooms* for 1-2

  • handful of white button mushrooms, (or Cremini is ya like) I used about 6. Sliced
  • 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 TBS Tamari or Nama Shoyu (I use Tamari)
  • 1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 clove Garlic (OPT)
In small bowl, mix together the marinade. Whisk together well. Slice the mushrooms and add to the "sauce". Let sit for about 15 minutes, or until the mushroom soften a bit. Serve over Pasta dishes....either strained mushrooms alone or with an extra drizzle of the sauce as well. Yum yum!


And that my awesome Raw'kers......if what's for dinner tonight :)

*Happy and Healthy Eating......Dudes.*

*Shauna*

No comments:

Post a Comment